Friday, September 10, 2010

To Nap or Not to Nap?

My 2-year-old is at that stage when he's in between wanting/needing a nap and not wanting/needing a nap. There are days where he CANNOT!!!!!!!!! do without one (also days where I can't handle him if he doesn't nap). And there are days when he will not, with no amount of coaxing, take a nap.

Today, for instance, he was up almost at the crack of dawn and went and played and played and went and, and, and.... Right up until about 6 p.m. when he came to me and gave me the "I'm going to go to sleep now and you've been designated as my pillow" hug. Knowing that I didn't want to be up until the wee hours of the morning with a hyper kiddo who just won't go to sleep, I decided to put him in a bubble bath because he loves them and I knew it would wake him up.

After playing in the tub for about 45 minutes, I pulled him out and took him back into the living room to sit with my DH for awhile. The TV was off for a change, and we started playing. Then came on the terrible two's mood swing (also a precursor to I'm going to sleep and you can't stop me). Trying to get him to hang on for as long as we could, DH turned on the TV and let him watch a Wiggles video. He got bored after about 20 minutes, so we switched videos to another of his favorites...one called You Make Me Feel Like Dancing. After asking me to dance with him (and happily obliging...I hope he still loves dancing when he's older), things wound down a bit, and he climbed up onto the couch beside me.

One second he was kind of singing along and bopping his head, and the next thing I know, the head bops had turned into head drops/jerks as he tried hard to stay awake. By this time, it was 7:30-ish, so I figured he'd be good to go for the night...at least I'm hoping that's the case.

Although I know we have at least a couple more months of this transitioning period where every day is different, some days needing a nap and some days not, I'm caught wondering, when do other kids decide they don't want naps? What do you other moms do to help with the transition? Are other kids as night owlish as mine (sometimes staying up until past 10 and there's nothing you can do about it)?

3 comments:

Kimi said...

Oh, naps....so wonderful, yet such a pain when your kid fights. Thankfully, at this point in time, both my kids are great nappers, even taking them at the SAME TIME every day. Awesome. Anyway, when they got to the point of fighting naps (which they have both done), my mom helped put it into perspective: Put them in their room, in their bed. Even if they're not sleeping, but are playing quietly, then they're at least somewhat resting. And perhaps, perhaps they'll nod off.

Also, at one time, Brinkley wouldn't nap unless I let him nap in a place different than his bed: he chose behind his rocking chair, in the corner "tunnel" (as he called it.) Nowadays, he naps on my bed, because Caelen will only sleep in the crib. Maybe make a special napping place; a change of scenery may be all he needs:)

Mindi said...

I agree with Kimi. My 3 year old NEEDS a nap daily. He goes down at THE same time everyday, like a schedule. He gets counted down "5 more minutes...ect". From 2yrs to 3 yrs I was laying down with him to get him to go to sleep. Now that he's over 3, I put him into his bed and tell him "Have a good nap" My child is brutal during the evening hours (5pm-8pm) if he doesn't nap. Keep him napping! I have a night owl and he needs his sleep, so hang in there!

Kadie said...

Oh I totally understand this. My son tries to skip his nap sometimes and my husband occasionally says, "Maybe it's time to drop his nap..." and I adamantly say "NO." I know my son and I know that if he doesn't get his nap, we're in for a hard afternoon/evening. :) Although some kids really do grow out of their naps earlier than others is what I hear... I just hope mine isn't one of those!