Friday, September 10, 2010

Thrifting 101

As you will quickly learn, I am CHEAP. I rarely pay full price for things and usually do not buy new. We have been grateful for this as our kids have grown like weeds! We buy secondhand and sell it ourselves when we're done.

Moral of the story, your kids WILL grow like weeds! Why not buy gently used items for 1/2 the price (or less)?! Here are some things to remember when buying used-

-Check all gear (strollers, cribs, etc.) for recalls. If I purchase a big toy, I check it for recalls as well. There are some recalls that don't affect the function of the product, so I will still purchase it and contact the company right away for a replacement part. Obviously, if it poses a safety hazard, I won't buy it and I inform the seller.

-Make sure you're getting the best deal. There's usually some wiggle room in the price, even at a consignment store.

-Some items can be turned into something else, so try to look for the potential in the item instead of immediately saying no. There are so many great items that can be recycled into something else for your own house too, rather than selling it off. I've seen kid's dressers repainted, or baby bedding sewn into a quilt. The possiblities are endless.

-My favorite place to look for deals besides thrift stores, yard sales and consignment shopes is online, craigslist.com. SO fun. I think buying secondhand is so neat because you can afford things you wouldn't normally have and brand names from stores you've only dreamed of entering. When someone asks where something is from (if they know me at all, they already know it's used) I love saying, "Pottery Barn" all the while thinking, "you would never believe how much I found that for!"

Now we've talked about a couple of my favorite tips, what are yours? Happy Bargain Hunting!

3 comments:

Deborah said...

I have your mom to thank for sparking my interest in yard sales, and I have you to thank for igniting the flame. I wish that I could just hand you money and you could shop for my family. Of course, that would require us living in the same state.

I also love craigslist and similar online communities. I am also a member of freecycle.com. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE half.com. I love to look at eBay, but I'm convinced it's armed and dangerous.

I HAVE to put my plug in for the library though. SO many people spend so much money on books. As an aspiring author, you'd think that would be a good thing, right? It is, but when one is trying to be thrifty, the library is heaven sent. Movies, books, CD's, activity bags for the kids, all for free! I get online, reserve a book and they call me when it's ready to be picked up. I don't spend hours searching through books trying to keep by child from eating books and climbing into strangers' laps. Easy, free, fun, perfect.

Nicole said...

This is something I were better at. I do alright with some things, but when it comes to couponing, etc, I get confused and fed up with how much time it takes me.
Maybe I need someone to spark my interest and ignite my flame for going to yard sales, etc.
But I have to say, I love craigs list and freecycle and I'm excited to look at half.com as Deborah suggested.

Kadie said...

Amen to all of this Hanna! And when you find an amazing deal on something, you are so excited about it that you want to tell everyone! :)