Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mornings

I don't know about you, but I like my mornings simple. I like to sleep in, even if sleeping in is five minutes more. I don't like to feel rushed! But with three five year old's, rushed is the flavor of the day.

However, there are a few things I can do to make said flavor a bit more palatable.

- We make sure backpacks and shoes are always put in the same spot so they can be easily found the next morning.
- Uniforms (or outfits) are gathered the night before and laid out, so they are ready to go.
- We even slip making our beds after getting dressed in there (never pass up an opportunity to learn how to do chores).
- while the girls rotate brushing their teeth, I rotate doing their hair, so not everyone is waiting for something to be done.
- We also let them color/write their names on their lunch bags (gets spelling and creative time in there as well)

But the thing that saves me the most time in the mornings....pre-made sandwiches. Its amazing how much time and hassle this does save.

Every Saturday I take a loaf to two loafs of bread out of the freezer (its easier to spread peanut butter on frozen bread and you can buy bulk and not worry about it going bad) line them up and make anywhere from 11-22 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
I cut them and put them in zip lock bags and pop them back into the freezer.
Then when I'm putting lunches together, I just grab them out and off they go.
They are unfrozen by the time lunch comes around and are not soggy or anything (just like Crustables you find in the store).

These are great to grab for church or if you'll will be out for a bit, drop one in your purse or diaper bag before you leave the house and by the time that mid-day monster comes about and the kids just can't handle one more minute...out comes the save all.

Its saved me time and my sanity and for me that is worth a lot!!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

That's a really great idea I'll have to try!

Deborah said...

That is a great idea! I also have a neighbor who mass produces waffles and then freezes them for a quick and cheap morning meal. It's nice when your kids or husband want something other than cold cereal for breakfast.

Kadie said...

Oh my goodness. This is such a great idea that I would have never thought of! Thanks Maura!