Thursday, September 16, 2010

Protecting Your Clothes From One Another

Have you ever put a load of laundry in the washer, just to find that the dye from your jeans or new red shirt has bled onto your other clothes? I found a very simple way to protect my clothes from one another. Every time I purchase a new pair of jeans, or another item of clothing that has a possibility of bleeding or fading in the wash, I use vinegar on it. Yup, vinegar. I put the new item of clothing in the washer with half a cup of vinegar and run the washing machine for a short cycle. Something about vinegar seals the color into the fabric, which not only prevents the dyes from bleeding onto other clothes, but it also preserves the color so that you can wear your clothes (and wash them) more often and for a longer period of time.

It also works to soak the clothes in a sink or tub full of water and half a cup of vinegar. Either way, you can wash your clothes without worrying about runaway dyes ruining your wardrobe.

5 comments:

Deborah said...

I have heard vinegar works on jeans, but I didn't realize it'd work for anything! Thanks!

Kadie said...

Love this! Thanks!

Mindi said...

I use Vinegar on my colored towels. I do a short wash with the vinegar, then with the soap. Vinegar takes out the "musty" smell. In Student housing, there isn't much venting, so our colored towels (for some reason) smell funky after they are washed, so by using vinegar first, it takes out that funk! Love it!

Nicole said...

Vinegar also works wonders with getting out that urine smell from potty training accidents.

Jeanette said...

Sweet cuppin' cakes, who knew? I just got a new wrinkle in my brain and something that is way cheaper than oxy-clean. Gracias, Dena