Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Lesson in Kindness

I was on a walk with my girls yesterday when I noticed that my two year old daughter had something on her shoe. She was dragging her shoe along the sidewalk to try and scrape it off, smearing whatever it was behind her. I also noticed several snails (the big ones that look like Spongebob's pet Gary) out on the sidewalk. I squatted down to point out the snail to my daughter and ask her to say hello to it. Then the most disturbing thing happened.

My little girl raised her foot, smashed that little snail, and ground it into the concrete.

I was shocked. I was horrified. I was speechless for a minute. I knew that I had to do something, but I didn't know what. I couldn't bring the snail back to life, its shell was shattered and its slimy body was plastered across the sidewalk.

Finally, I decided that the only thing I could do was express to my daughter the importance of showing respect and kindness to animals. I told her that God created all the animals, even the snails and that he expects us to be kind to them and take care of them. I explained that it is our job to keep them safe, and not to step on them. It hurts them when we step on them.

I am not sure if my message got through to my daughter, but she did apologize to the snail before we continued on our way. Hopefully the next time we meet a snail, it will be greeted with a friendly hello, and left to meander on its way.

5 comments:

Kimi said...

Hmmmm... that's a hard one. She's tougher than Brinkley. He whimpers and runs away from bugs of any variety.

Perhaps consult the Sunbeam manual? I know it has a lesson in it on being kind to animals....

Dena said...

I think that I will have to give her a more formal lesson on kindness to animals. It surprised me so much because she is usually so sweet and gentle.

Deborah said...

Honestly, it was a bug. To me bug = death. Either it's or mine, and since I have a larger will to survive (and shoe), I usually win. If she's not into pulling cat's tails or kicking dogs just for fun, it probably isn't something I'd be really worried about. But yes, she probably should know that bugs are animals too and do deserve respect. Especially when they're on their own turf. (Inside the house is another matter.)

Nicole said...

I'm sorry, but my first reaction was to giggle at the story. I can just see it all happening. :) Your very sweet, beautiful daughter just squashing that poor snail.

Maybe in your lesson that you plan on giving her, you could mention that every living thing has a purpose (I know that's a little deep for one so young) and that the snails just need to do their job so Heavenly Father is happy with them.

Jeanette said...

I'm with Deborah on this one, though I'd go for salt over a foot with slugs and snails any day. Spiders meet the same fate, well, I don't use salt, just anything I can lay my hands on really.

Domesticated animals are certainly different and teaching our little ones to love and respect them is part of our stewardship. If you can teach a child to care for another living thing it builds compassion and, yes, even a desire to serve.