Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Name Game

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been making lists of baby names I loved since I was like 10. I'm sure if I were to see the lists from yesteryear now, I would gag! :) There is one name though that I have LOVED since I first met my husband. It's a boy name and we have 2 sweet little girls...so it continues to sit on an imaginary list of "Boy Names" in my head. With every baby boy that's born on either side of our family, I hold my breath and hope that they didn't give him "my" name. Well, yesterday, I found out someone is using "my" name. I almost cried. Then I decided, there's just going to be two little boys with that name in the family. Cuz try as I might, I can't cross off my favorite name on my imaginary list.

What about you. Do you keep your names a secret for fear of someone stealing it? Not liking it? Simply wanting it to be a surprise?

I have a friend who had chosen a name for a boy. She announced it to her family...and her sister in law stole it. She decided to pay her back. She named her dog the "girl" name her sister in law loved. ;)

5 comments:

Deborah said...

Oh that's the worst. I can say that I know how you feel when someone takes your name. It's no fun at all, and I did cry. I'm sorry.

In order to prevent another name being taken, Tyler and I did announce our baby name even though we weren't pregnant or adopting at the time. We respectfully reserved the right to use or not use the name. That way if and when we had children, we had that option but were not required to use the name.

Turns out we did use the name, but that's a different story.

Anyway, we didn't just tell people, "We really like this name." We said, "We want this name, please don't take it." And no one did.

As far as other names we just really like, we keep them a secret.

I don't see anything wrong with using your name even though someone else has used it. I hope some day you get to.

By the way, the dog story is funny and kinda sad at the same time. Good pay back though:)

Maura said...

I remember when we were little and children's names became a valid concern, we 'dibbed' names amongst the siblings.

I can't imagine a sibling/family member of mine knowing I liked that name, called dibs and still take it. Thats just not right!

I agree with Deborah, announce the name and respectfully ask no one take it. If they do and it was pre-requested to the whole family...the whole family is going to know they weren't original enough to pick their own name (sounds harsh but thats what I think)

I'm sorry too. I hope you get to use YOUR name someday as well.

Marina the Mom said...

I name my kids what I want really. I don't really worry if other family members already have the same name....obviously. I figure they are different persons so it doesn't really matter. Shoot, look at George Foreman. That man named all of his kids George! Something like 8 of them. Actually, I would not go that far.

However, that being said, I would not steal a name from someone. My kids have names that are already out there in the family.

Mindi said...

I say whoever has the baby first, wins. Then again, I've had people 'steal' "MY" names, and it has ruined the name for me, in some cases. Most of the time I don't tell names. My hubby's side they have their names all 'picked out' and nobody can have them. Like, one SIL has a name she loves for a boy, 'spoke' for it, but I said to my hubby, "Um, that's on MY list too", so, I say, whoever has the next boy...if there be, anyways...If you LOVE it that much, USE it. Will they grow up close together? Maybe, maybe not. In my fam, cousins have used the same name. There are 4 Abby's in our fam among the cousins kids. Use it. Don't worry about what others think or say. It's YOUR kid, what YOU want. If they are upset with the name, they can move. Hahahaha! No really, I say use it. Who cares!

Kadie said...

I agree that you should use whatever name you want. The worst is when you tell people your name and they say "ewww" or something to the effect of "that name is horrible." And Deborah, I know you're thinking of me and the whole Kael thing right now... haha.

But seriously the funniest thing was when we told my MIL what we named our son and she said, "Hmmm, I'm going to have to get used to that." And Kaleb is a pretty normal name! :)