Monday, May 16, 2011

Breastfeeding Whatnots and Wherefores

Most people (at least most that I know) aren't all that comfortable talking about their boobs, so it comes as no surprise that people don't like talking about what comes out of their boobs either. I'm going to be fairly candid in this post. Please don't take offense or anything like that. I'm just sharing what would have been nice to know before some of this happened.

When I had J (almost 3 years ago now) I had no idea what to do to get the little guy to breastfeed. I mean, I'd seen my sisters with their numerous kids feeding their babies and had even talked with them (much more than I was comfortable with) about stuff that happens to your boobs. But until you go through the process for yourself and your baby, it's still something akin to rocket science.

I managed to keep the little guy alive, thank goodness, and to feel fairly comfortable with my breastfeeding abilities. He was a great nurser and just loved to eat.

N, on the other hand, likes to - shall we say - "play" with his food. He is so very observant of the world around him, and likes to look EVERYWHERE. He also hates to stop eating or let go as he does so. Who knew a boob could stretch in so many different ways? Not me! I know, I know. Cover him with a nursing corner/blanket and sit in a dark quiet room. But that's not always readily available when you have multiple children.

Another thing I've learned this time around (here's another candid moment) is that ducts get clogged and that stuff builds up in the nipple at times. I had clogged ducts with J, and so I knew basically how to ease the pain and help them unclog. Hot showers and the like. But I'd never, NEVER seen or heard of stuff building up in the nipple.

Things got so painful that it would feel like knives stabbing me whenever N would eat off that side, tears streaking down my face and all that good stuff. I finally had enough of it and squeezed (yes it was extremely painful) until I got the stuff out. Then, as per one of my sisters' advice, I let N latch on to that side with his tongue on the side of the nipple where the stuff had been. Apparently the suction is greater on the tongue side of a baby's mouth.

I share this, not so you'll gross out, but so that if you ever experience something like that, you'll know you're not a freak (I'm assuming that I'm not one) and that you'll know that there is a remedy for it, painful though it may be.

I'm sure there are other "gems" of info on the subject that could be shared, but that's all I'll put you through at the moment.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I think this is information that SHOULD be shared with every woman who is going to breastfeed her baby...and maybe to even those who aren't, so they can make an informed decision. I feel that, because of society or religion or whatnot, people are so hush-hush about this subject, and they shouldn't be! Why shun or avoid talking about the beautiful gift it is to nurture, comfort, and feed our babies? That is what our "boobs" were meant for.

This is a subject that is very dear to me, because I am a huge nursing advocate, and have experienced all the highs and lows that come along with it, all the trials and tears, and also all the joys. There is a wealth of knowledge on the subject out there, that I feel every mom who is interested should look at. No one should get offensive, no one should get grossed out...in my opinion. It's a beautiful thing to nurse, but it is also very tricky and there is a LOT to it...more than one might think.

We need to embrace it and arm ourselves with knowledge so that we can be prepared for the many trials that come along with it, and know how to handle them. A lot of moms are too uncomfortable to talk to anyone about it, so they go in blindly and feel lost when they don't know why something is happening/not happening...

I just want all moms out there to know they are not alone, and there are always people out there who are willing to talk about it and help! This website saved my life (I'll post it below). I didn't know about it with my first, though I had heard of the La Leche League, and didn't know anything about breastfeeding, so I stopped doing it when it got too difficult, but with my 2nd, I found a member of the LLL and this website, and it turned my world upside down. I found I had a problem called overactive letdown, and that website helped me through it so I knew how to nurse my babies WITH that problem. I have now nursed my 2nd and 3rd successfully.

This website contains so many wonderful ideas and tips and helps for nursing moms. I spent hours on it, and sometimes still do. Breastfeeding isn't easy, but it's a God-given ability, and there are some great tools to help us in that journey. Good luck everyone!

This page lists any issues or problems you can think of with nursing, and provides article upon article for help on each thing:
http://www.lalecheleague.com/nb.html?m=0,0,0

Jennie said...

Sorry for the novels here, but I also want to follow-up by saying that while I am a big BF advocate, I do not judge anyone for not being able to, or even if they just decide not to. I KNOW how hard it can be. Like I said, my first was a nightmare and went on a nursing strike when it got too difficult. I cried over it ALL the time. And I got judged by people for it when I stopped, and that hurt worse than anything else because whose right is it to say that you aren't doing what's best for your baby??

It's no ones. So when we ARE judged, we need to rub it off and realize that WE are the mom of this beautiful baby, and WE are blessed with the intuition to know what's best for them.

Whether we breastfeed, bottle feed, or whatever, we are all doing what we feel is best for our children. And it is true, like I learned with my first, that not every mom is meant for it, nor every baby...who sometimes have a stubbornness from birth.

Though, if enough research and patience are available, there is usually a way to work through the issue. The trick is, do we--and our baby--have that patience?

Most of us don't. And that is 100% okay.