Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Developing Imagination

My almost 3 year old (can he really be that old already?) has quite the imagination. It makes me laugh out loud quite often. Like it did today when he picked up a plastic Easter egg, opened it, held it up to his chest and said, "Look, Mommy! I got boobs!" Yes, he's my son. No, he didn't get that from me. :)

Imagination is something I think a lot of kids today are without because they sit in front of the TV or video games and are endlessly entertained, leaving imagination unneeded.

Reading is a great solution to that. My sis-in-law uses making up stories with her kids as an imagination development tool. I love both of those things.

What are some things you have done/do/plan to do to promote the use of imagination in your children?

5 comments:

Kimi said...

My kids both have fantastic imaginations; I'm constantly cracking up from the things they 'see' and 'hear', etc.

I have my 3 1/2 year old help me make up stories ALL the time. I've started doing that with my 2 year old, and she already has the concept not only of making things up, but how a story goes. We also like to sing and listen to songs, and both kids make up songs ALL THE TIME (sometimes I feel like I'm living in a musical... :) )

I think, like you said, READING books is a great way to help foster imagination; sometimes I have the kids 'read' the books to me to see what story they can come up with.

Providing good toys can help foster imagination, too: kitchen sets, tea sets, dress up, tool boxes, etc.

Love that J thought he had boobs. How did the hubby respond to that one? (No worries, B dresses up in his sisters dress-up skirts, hats, and stuff.)

Kadie said...

At this age, I try to read my boy books and play along when he imagines something. Kids are honestly born with an imagination, it just needs cultivation to keep it going. :)

Nicole said...

The hubs wasn't here when it happened, but when I told him about it, he just laughed.

I love playing along with their imaginings. It's so fun to see what they come up with!

Maura said...

My girls are older..so they can write stories. Its fun to see the pictures that they come up with and the story line that goes with it. One of their favorite games is to play teacher..which is a fun way for them to learn how to teach and different idea's they come up with to teach. :)

I agree...too many people use TV as a "babysitter". My kids think its a treat to watch a movie.

Deborah said...

Honestly, when Seth uses his dinner to pretend it's an airplane, I let him. When he gets older, I might try to squash that habit, but for now I let him play.