Saturday, March 19, 2011

Your Average Day

I've been thinking about the last post for almost the last month. With a new baby in the house, a lot of things have changed - especially my schedule (note that it's almost 1 a.m. as I'm writing this).

Not only has my schedule been thrown off kilter, but so has my toddler's. Before N was born, we had a fairly good routine down for dinner and bedtime. Now, he does everything he can to stay up longer and longer and longer. I'd like to ask another question of all you moms out there because you are full of great advice that you definitely can't get in parenting books because your experiences are your own and most of you haven't published...at least not that type of book. (Wink at Deborah, since she's having her book published later this month!)

My question is what is your schedule like on an average day? I'm trying to fit everything back into my life that fit before, and it's like I'm doing a puzzle with too many pieces. I know it'll take time for me to see how everything can fit, or at least pare it down, but I'd really like to know how you other moms do things.

So, what does your average day look like?

3 comments:

Kimi said...

First off, does N have a predictable schedule (sleeping and eating) yet? That made a HUGE difference to me in adjusting to two kids. That said, here's our day (basically):

7:30/8:00 - both kids awake
8-9: potty/diaper, breakfast, get dressed (this sometimes goes to 9:30.)
9/9:30-lunch: play, snack at about 10:30, other toddler/preschool stuff
12-1: lunch (my kids are sloooooooooooow eaters)
1-3 (and sometimes 4!): naps. I am sooooooooooo lucky that my 3 year old and 2 year old nap at the same time. THAT is a lifesaver.
4-dinner: play, etc
6/7: dinner
7:30/8: baths
8: C to bed
9: B to bed

Nicole, it took me a good while to have a regularly scheduled day. It seriously makes a huge difference when the kids nap at the same time; I had to "make" them do that, and it took some time. I do know that when C had two naps a day, while B only had his afternoon one, my days seemed like I had a 2-hour window to do stuff, because the rest of the day was spent feeding and having sleeping kids.

I don't know what to say about J postponing bedtime; B does the same thing. I think it's pretty normal for kids their age range.

Good luck. I don't know if ANYTHING I said helped, but you're in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted on how things are going!

Unknown said...

Our schedule is almost exactly the same as Kimi's. The only difference is that we put both our kids to bed at the same time at night (8:00).

It took us a LOOOOOOOONG time to get onto a regular schedule once DD#2 came along. It was probably a good 8-9 months before I felt like I had any sort of routine or organization in my life. It is hard while baby #2 is small, but just remember that those days don't last very long, and things will be easier before you know it!

Also, I agree with Kimi that it makes all the difference if you can get your kids to nap at the same time. It helps you keep a little sanity in your life!

Deborah said...

I'm glad you asked, Nicole. I hope someday I'll be able to use this advice.

And thanks for the shout-out. :)