Friday, December 17, 2010

Walking

I need some help please. My son is 14 months old and refuses to walk. He has been cruising for over six months now. We thought he'd be walking by the time he was 10 months old! But no. He still prefers to crawl. It's not a balance problem. He'll stand on his own and play with toys, but as soon as he realizes he's standing, he'll grab on to something or sit down. And yes, he'll sit. He doesn't fall, he sits on purpose. So I know he has good balance and control.

What he lacks is motivation.

He doesn't eat a lot of candy, so candy isn't really a motivator. We can't hold up a toy or something to get him to walk because he loses interest and just crawls to the toy. If we put something in his hands so that he can hold that instead of our hand, he stops and plays with it.

Any other ideas we haven't tried?

5 comments:

Kimi said...

First off, some kiddos don't start walking 'til they're 15 months old (and probably older!)

I can't remember why B started walking, but I think we prompted him with our cell phones? Or something electronic. C started walking, I think, out of survival; she was able to withstand the teasing, etc. from B much better being upright (you know, 'cause she could run away...).

I wouldn't worry about it too much. He'll walk when he wants to walk.

Maybe take him outside...in the snow.... put him down (standing), and walk away. He'll probably not want to crawl on the cold ground. (Is that too mean?.....hmmmm)

Good luck! Keep us updated.

Nicole said...

I agree with Kimi. He'll walk when he's ready. Maybe it's part of his personality to make sure he's completely safe before he takes that "first step" into something. I know I'm like that a lot.

Mindi said...

Jack walked with the help of one of those toy walker car cruiser thingies. He walked at 12 months. Brody is now 9 1/2 months and walking around the coffee table. I agree with the other two. They walk when they are ready. Taking him into the snow, totally not mean. Makes for great pictures! Ha. I dunno what to tell ya. See, my 3 1/2 year old boy is still talking gibberish sometimes, so everyone has issues!

Danna Weekes said...

McKinley didn't walk until she was 16 months old. I was told that as long as they walk by 18 months that is "normal". She is a climber so I am glad that she waited that long to walk! Maybe this is the calm before the storm and he too will drive you crazy by being a climber. Better go...she is probably on the table AGAIN!

Maura said...

I agree with Mindi....one of those cruisers are great. By the way he sits down sounds like he's unsure about it. If he learned he could "walk" around in a cruiser and get more confident it might help.

I also think having him hold yours and Tylers hand while he walks between you two would help out too. He has his two most secure people with him, showing him how great and fun it is to be a walker.

I hope that helps.